Friday, February 24, 2012

The Flood

During my studies this week I learned about a major flood that swept through Irapuato after a dam broke due to heavy rains.  The death estimate was around 200 people and the city was devastated.  It was the worst flood in Mexican history!  I actually found out about the flood from and Ensign article that told of the one small branch that was in Irapuato in 1973.  Luckily no members were harmed in the flood and there was a lot of humanitarian work that was done.

I found it so interesting that this major event happened in Irapuato and I hadn't even heard of it.  The flood will give me a definite starting point, something that I know happened locally and effected the members.  The article also mentioned the name of the branch president during the time, Octavio Arrendondo, who by now would be about 60 years old. This means that many of the first members in the Irapuato area might still be alive; I have a good chance at getting many first hand accounts! And I even have a name to start with.

I really am getting rather excited to see the final product.  This is a good sign for me, I am gaining an greater interest in the actual work that I will be doing with history, in addition to that which I had for the language and the culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment