Friday, February 10, 2012

Framework

Up until today I was fairly worried that all of my research that I have done has been somewhat irrelevant to my actual project.  As I have mentioned previously, my mentor for my project has been out of the country for the past few months and I have kind of been shooting in the dark.  Each class period I have been required to come up with a source (such as a book or article) that is "related" to my project in some way.

Luckily, for me, there is a fairly decently sized collection of Mormon Mexican History within the BYU Library, which means that I have been able to do some research on what the basic history of Mormons in Mexico, as well as the history of several of the original Mormon colonies.  There is, however, quite a lack of readily available information concerning what I will actually be doing my project on, that is, Irapuato's Mormon history. Without my mentor here to guide me to the right information, or at least methods of searching for it, I feel like I have been hitting all around the target with my research, but have yet to get a bulls-eye shot.

In class today, though, I was able to take a closer look at the research that I had completed and what it tells me.  Because I have been, as I said, hitting all around the mark, and now that I have taken a step back I can better see what I have been missing in the middle.  I can now better define what I need!  I knew what I had been aiming for all along, but sometimes it's rather hard to define until you frame it and determine what it is not; "eliminate the impossible and what remains must be the truth!" as my good friend Sherlock put it.

So what am I looking for now?  I'm still getting the idea, but from what I understand, I am looking for things like: historical documents from Irapuato itself, statistics concerning religious affiliation during the time period of the first Irapuato Mormons, church records concerning early members of the church, and dates and names of the first appearances of Mormons within Irapuato. Where am I going to find this, and similar information? Well...

"You know my methods, Watson"

No comments:

Post a Comment