Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Return of the Jedi

Last week my mentor, Mark, got back from his sabbatical leave in Morocco and it was really great to meet with him.  Mark has traveled over south America to complete over 70 of these types of interviews in different languages;  he is just the man for the job, and now he is back.  We had a great meeting on Tuesday wherein he was able to point me in the right direction concerning my research and preparation.

One of the great things that I learned was how to access the church archives online.  Because I have already conducted a lot of general research, the study that lies before me is now merely two-fold;  I will do research on the secular history of Irapuato and the surrounding area, and I will use Church archives to get a general idea of dates, time periods, and names for the early church within Irapuato.

Interestingly, another idea came up that if I can find any of the missionaries who served in the early days of Irapuato, then I could possibly interview them before my trip to Mexico.  The odds are good that there are a few that live nearby as BYU does lie within the center of the Mormon community.

In essence, I am just grateful to have Mark on board, I couldn't do this without him and I feel that his contribution to my learning will be invaluable.  Mentorships are the best.  I am glad that I am planning to a teacher so that one day I may also be a mentor to a young padawan, and train him in the ways of the force.

No comments:

Post a Comment