Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Impression I have Inherited

I thought that the discussion that we had in class on Friday was very interesting and covered many important points concerning the viewpoint with which those in Mexico might view me.  I had failed to realize before that even though I have never been to Irapuato, or even Mexico, before, I carry with me a certain impression that I have inherited as part of who I am.

As an American I will be viewed in whatever light the people in Irapuato already have established in their minds regarding Americans.  I also come as a college student and a BYU student which is particularly significant in the minds of the members that I will be spending much of my time with.  In addition, those who have gone on this field study to Mexico before me will have made an impression of field studies students upon the locals there which will affect the way I am perceived as well.

It is interesting to think that before the people and members of the Church in Irapuato even meet me, they will have an idea (whether correct or not is yet to be determined) of who I am.  I am grateful, however, that I will be able to spend some time making my own impressions.  Obviously there are some existing ideas that are true and good and that I will want to strengthen, but I also may be working against some misconstrued ideas and expectations.

Once again I am grateful for the fact that my project will be about, and help, the people that I will be focusing my work on, and taking the most time from.  I hope that the reciprocity of my project, along with friendship building tactics such as showing genuine interest and being kind and funny, will be able to build some strong bridges with the people in Irapuato.  And though I cannot make their choices for them, it is my hope that they will use those bridges to overcome any incorrect and inherited impressions that may keep us from sharing a wonderful experience together.

My Best,
Benjamin

No comments:

Post a Comment