Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mis Esperazas y Mis Sueños

No sé sí este viaje vaya a cumplir todos mis esperazas y sueños, pero hay algunos cosas que quiero aprender de mi experencia en México. Y, ¿quién sabe? Tal vez mis sueños más disparatados se convertirá en realidad.

So what do I hope to gain from this Field Study? I will tell you.

First off, I want to be able to better communicate is Spanish. That is one of my main goals. Perhaps it should be something less selfish like end world hunger and bring peace to earth and goodwill to men, but it's one step at a time. First I'll focus on learning Spanish.

Some of my other goals though are a little less self-centered. I do hope that the work that I do will be of use to members in the area. I will try to find some inspirational stories, quizás with some cool "pioneer of the faith" stories about the first members in Irapuato and the surrounding area.

I want to get to know the culture of Mexico better, and build some lasting friendships. I am very much interesting in little aspects of culture like different idioms and the etymology of different words. I wouldn't mind learning about things like that.

I like to learn about people, and so I am glad that my project will involve a lot of talking with people and getting to know them. I want to know what they like to do, to eat, to talk about, etc. Those little things are fun for me.

I am sure that this list will continue to evolve as time goes on and I get a better idea of what I want to do there and what it might be like in Irapuato. One thing is for sure, I am definitely looking forward to it.

Con Ánimo,
Benjamín

2 comments:

  1. Learning Spanish better was my main motivation for going to Mexico the first time. With all the talking and interviewing you'll be doing, I'm sure you'll get better quicker than you already realize.

    "Pioneer of faith stories"? That sounds awesome. What kind of questions will you be asking members? How will you decide which members to interview?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks "Cassi" I really look forward to seeing the language progress that will take place. My mentor, Mark Grover, has an interview rubric that he already has approved with the IRB. I don't know the questions yet, but I will soon. I'll have to think more about who to interview.

    ReplyDelete